Sunday, November 1, 2009

Automatist Digital Sculpture by Ron Maubidea


Not until recently have I gone back to exercise an earlier technique I began exploring in 2008. Cycle of Life (evolution simplifee), was one of the first works that incorporated a manipulated photographic image augmented with digital sculpture.

They say, what goes around... comes around and nothing could be more relevant in terms of style.

In January of 08', I received my first version of Photoshop as the result of purchasing a digital drawing tablet. For years I had planned to get the program and "personalize" the images in a series of both mixed-medium collage and digital sculptures.

Without any prior experience, I dove blindly into the process, neglecting all the rudimentary steps (such as proper setup) which I later regretted utterly...

There are currently over 1200 completed works in my catalogue, many of which required reconfiguration for large format (mural size) printing. For months, I struggled with the question on how to resolve the issue of enlargement. A solution had to be found that did not impede on the integrity of the images viewed online or that of the original concept.

The website (Galerie de Maubidea) is only a few months old... a baby if you will. And like any concerned parent, I want the best for the child. To date, most of the reproductions have been sold as standard prints. In an economy where people are counting pocket change, fewer and fewer archival prints (giclee) are being sold by lesser known artists. When someone buys a giclee print, they ultimately expect its value to increase... and why not! They can cost hundreds of dollars and considerably more when the image is that of a popular artist.

Personally, I have never owned a giclee... That which I may buy, are usually in the disposable / flavor of the month category and priced accordingly. I do so because "taste can change"... mine certainly does, and how many Rembrandt's can one possibly afford!

To remedy this, I asked the printer to reproduce an early abstract, one that fully encompassed the concept of Abstract Automatism. An image that was purely conceptual; was developed without the use of photo templates and was completed within the time constraints of a fleeting inspiration... whew!

Yeah, yeah... I know, lots of BS goin' on, but it's all true. Anyway, while at the printer, we encountered the issue of enlargement for the first time. I won't go into detail but I will say this. Several embellishments (photoshop effects), were added as layers to the image. At the time, I thought it looked passable considering... so I ordered the print on canvas (a giclee) and paid the wholesale price of a few hundred dollars unframed.

Several days later, the printed canvas arrived at my studio. I unwrapped it gingerly and set it on a stool against the wall. Days later, I was still observing it numbly; could not reason out what was causing all the emotional confusion. I WAS FUCKING PISSED!

To this day, I hate that thing! It does not represent the image one views on the website. It resembles it... but I know and can see the differences. To date, the print could have been sold twice but refused so. It was suggested that I simply "go for the money" and deal with my objections at a later time. HELL NO!

The lesson absorbed (as well as the cost) was infinitely more valuable than the price of the print in question. After all... I would have to live with that decision and inevitably face (my conscience view) a dissatisfied patron asking the question, "Why do the images appear different" or worse!

Image: Lucrezia: Bad Hair Day and Funny Hat (Pop Art - Portraits)