Monday, November 2, 2009

Positively Horrified...


Last evening I began to work on a new image... a sultry ingénue. The subject had particularly unique feminine characteristics... After several hours an overall image construct developed.


As with many of my portraits, creature figures are in large a spirited presence. Due to the nature of the abstract content, a small one-eyed amphibian (peering through her ample locks) emerged. Prior to completing that step, all previous content had been saved.


I took a breath, sat back in my chair to observe when suddenly... both monitors crapped out!


Now... a crashing program or momentary loss of power are not uncommon occurrences; been there, as have we all. And for those of us that have learned to deal comfortably with these issues, it is only a matter of seconds before the technology recoups.


However, in lieu of the usual computer reset, my equipment (I don’t know how to describe this any other way) went into Pulmonary Arrest and started to wheeze!


Endless cycles of labored breathing sounds and flashing lights... Oy vey!!!


The entire face of my tower was alit... yellow, green and red LED’s all goin’ schizoid.


My baby was stroking-out... somewhere between Cardiac Failure and a Psychotic break-down.


THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE... shit! Shit!! BIG STINKY SHIT!!! :(


I pressed the Start Button to cut the power and held it in... 5 seconds - 10 seconds - 20 seconds...


Nothing happened... WTF!


My heart began to pound, my pulse now racing... and all the while knowing this is probably the Hard Drive dying. What else could it be? The breathing sound was that of the drive attempting to start up. Every time it did... it collapsed, than started up again only to repeat the failing cycle of old age.


Its back to the Mac...